InterSpiritual Meditation (ISM) Facilitator Training
This certification is designed for those who wish to help individuals or groups engage in the seven-step process of InterSpiritual Meditation. This training is both included in the overall Mentor certification process as well as an independent certification for those you do not wish to become InterSpiritual Mentors. Applicants must complete the application form as well as the following requirements.
- At least one ISM online course.
- Personal attendance at each of the weekly teleconference sessions.
- Completion of the workbook journaling on each of the Spiritual Styles and 7 Steps.
- A capstone paper about one’s personal meditation steps and styles.
- The InterSpiritual Mandala course either before or during their Facilitator training. (No capstone paper required.)
- Minimum of three mentoring sessions with our mentors, including one with Ed Bastian.
- Continued annual membership in Spiritual Paths Institute and engagement in the ISM Facilitator community.
Capstone Paper: Those who wish to qualify for the “InterSpiritual Meditation Facilitator Certificate Training” will need to attend the weekly online course teleconferences, and complete a 2,500 word capstone paper. This paper will summarize the wisdom gained from at least three spiritual/secular sources for each step, summarize at least three spiritual styles they have harnessed and balanced, and summarize the contemplative practice they have developed for each of the seven steps.
Guidelines for Leading an ISM Session
Following are the general guidelines for leading an InterSpiritual Meditation Session. Facilitator trainees will learn the subtle nuances and procedures of working with individuals and groups.
- Begin by stating the mission and purpose of ISM, reminding students should create their own personal practice for each step.
- Introducing each step by name.
- Use of gong to separate each step
(If leading the meditation online or via a phone, the gong should have a deep (not high or shrill) resonance and be at least a foot away from the microphone. An appropriate App might also be used.
- A short inspirational poem or stanza
(The choice personalizes the meditation according to leader, but is not overly directive.)
- Including the ISM mantra – song at the end, or beginning our end, or in between each step. (This will depend on the context, the quality of the Facilitator’s singing voice, and the time for the overall meditation.)
- As a general rule, the verbal guidance should not exceed 1/3 of the allotted time for each step. The facilitator should not feel compelled over-lead or fill up the silence with their own voice.
- As a general rule, Step 6 “Wisdom” should be the longest section. For example, in a 20 minute meditation, the other six steps would be about 2 minutes and Step 6 would be about 8 minutes. For Step six, the beginning vergal guidance should not exceed 40 seconds.
- Facilitators will not charge for their services.
For more information, please contact email@example.com.